The buzz might let you fall for the craze but a strong foundation is the only way that can lead you towards a better understanding of the subject. So let’s dive into this article to fathom the Software Testing basics Right.
What Exactly is software testing?
The process of validating and verification of a software’s efficiency and efficacy is what aptly Software Testing is all about.
Every software that is being developed in the world, has a purpose for example all the payment gateways need to assure esteemed security to promote digital transactions more vividly, Fashion, BFSI, and others too need to meet the technical requirements respectively.
Now to assure these technical needs and to make software or an application bug-free thousands or probably more than that test cases are performed, the prime motive of this is to improve efficiency, usability, security, and functionality and boost the performance.
How Software Testing is performed?
1. Verification: Knowing Our Ways: To ensure that all the deployed methods, practices, and strategies are apt for assuring the quality of the software or application respectively.
2. Validation: Knowing the Product: Knowing the Product and where it stands in the consumer market is a must for a testing Expert. And then understanding what test procedures should be implemented can fetch great results.
What are the different types of software testing?
Testing is of various methods but broadly they are of two types.
1. Manual Testing: Testing Software Manually without using any automation techniques or tools. In this type of Testing method, the tester plays the role of that of an end user and tests the software to identify and detect the bug behavior. Manual Testing is performed in various stages like unit testing, integration testing, system Testing, and user acceptance testing.
By deploying various test cases and test scenarios to ensure the competitiveness of testing. Exploratory testing is an integral part of testing Manual Testing that aids testers to explore the software for identifying any possible bugs.
2. Automation Testing: Test Automation, includes a process where the tester writes scripts and tests the software by using another test software. This is just more fast process that involves automation in the manual process. The Re-run of test scenarios can be performed faster and multiple times. Which improves the precision and accuracy of the test product.
Besides the basic levels like regression and automation testing the product can be critically tested for load, performance, and stress point of view. Everything from accuracy, adaptability, and test coverage everything can be achieved in less time.
Software Testing Techniques: Types
There are broadly two categories.
1. Black Box Testing: in this technique, the tester has no access to the source code of the software and this testing is conducted at the software interface without having any interaction with the internal logical structure.
2. White-Box Testing: In this type of testing the tester is aware of the internal workings of the product. The testers have access to source code, and all internal operations are performed as per the specifications. And this is precisely known as white box testing.
Levels of software testing
There are four levels of Software Testing let’s study what are they.
1. Unit Testing: Software testing process in which the components of the product are tested individually. The purpose of this level is to validate every component of the product/system/software is tested.
2. Integration Testing: In this testing procedure units are tested combined and tested as a group. This type of testing is to detect any error between the combined units.
3. System Testing: Testing the competency of the system, in this testing a complete software is tested. The motive of this software testing is to evaluate the compatibility of the system with respect to the requirements.
4. Acceptance Testing: In this level of testing the system/software/product is tested for its compatibility and acceptability. It simply states testing the system with the business requirements and does it meets the standards or not.
Learning Software Testing
Software Testing is a vast subject, not everything can be confined to one word thus if you are keen to create a good testing career. Then you must take some relevant courses to have apt knowledge about everything. To gain some real stuff go through platforms like Coursera, UpGrad, or Geeks for Geeks.